Monday, June 15, 2009

History

Heres some information we recieved from Charles Peterson on one of his original watercolors...the history is amazing. What an interesting artist!
I just picked this painting from my framer and was struck by the curious juxtaposition of its completion date and your inquiry about the painting your parents owned, tempting me to think I might have been clairvoyantly anticipating your email. As you see at the bottom, the date falls very close, one of the ironies of life. This schooner is of the type called topsail schooner. Named the Alvin Clark, she went down in 1864 at an island visible from our deck. She is sailing in very much the same position as the Augustus was in your painting, a section of Green Bay I have crossed in my own little sailboat innumerable times. Best regards, Charles Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment